Sonarworks Reference 4

The World is Flat

Well, at least AFTR Studio is flat with the Sonarworks Reference 4 monitor calibration system.



My new studio space is a real challenge. It's larger than my old room but much more lively and getting anything approaching an adequately controlled sound proved to be unsolvable without going further and further into acoustic treatments that I just didn't want to get into; I still have nightmares about vacating my last recording space. But I did put up some panels to knock down flutter, however, there is some weirdness going on all the same.

The setup was painless, however, it was like spending 15 minutes in an MRI machine and it did freak my tinnitus out a little.

My monitors are an old set of Tannoy Reveal Active from around the turn of the century. They're excellent above 1kHz but, in my space, they're pretty flakey in the bass.




Here's what was going on in my room without any correction:


Here is the Before juxtaposed to the AFTR (sorry!)



Squiggly lines don't tell you a lot but the results are amazing. The uncorrected sound was anemic in the bass and tubby as hell at 150Hz.

With the correction the bass is full and tight. The stereo image just feels solid from top to bottom, left to right. And the phantom center makes a lot more sense.

Reference also works with a bunch of standard headphones and earbuds. I think every model of headphone I've owned over the years is represented.

What sets Reference apart from the competition is not only the price but the "Systemwide" functionality that enables you to use the correction on iTunes or any audio streaming through your interface.