The Free Guide to Rock Guitar Speed Picking: Shred Beyond 300 BPM



Postmodern Shred Guitar Lessons

If you want to learn how to speed pick (alternate and hybrid) faster than 16th notes at 300 beats per minute (32nd notes at 150 BPM), i.e., faster than fast, I have the course for you, and, best of all, it's free -- no strings attached (pun intended).

Who the hell am I? I am Infinite Ego (Infinity, Go!)

I was planning on being a postmodern rock guitar god but life, graduate school, more graduate school, and an unexpectedly great career got in the way. But I never gave up on recording, studio projects, and working on new guitar techniques.

Why do I want to give you all my secrets for free? I used to run a popular website for guitarists back in the late 90s and early 00s that was quite influential on a whole crop of guitarists that grew up to become great musicians (way better than me, in fact). That experience was very cool and I made a lot of friends along the way. Things hot heavy with life and the site grew too big so I more or less went on hiatus for years. But now I'm back. Anyways, I am a professional educator, it's what I do. I already get paid a lot of money to 'be me' so I'm in it for the community and sharing ideas and I'd like to pass these concepts and techniques onto a new generation of players and see what they can come up with.

My whole approach is the unexpected synthesis of guys like Vernon Reid and Danny Gatton. It's kind of a downtown redneck prog rock outer space thing. In other words, I'm not really into classical shred guitar music and I never thought many of those players were all that fast. For me, guys like Shawn Lane and Arthur Rhames redefined the meaning of speed as an avenue for exploring the textual and geometric aspects of sound. Once you get the notes flying by at insane speeds they melt together in a blur of shifting shapes. But, hey, if you want to rock out with leather pants and slay dragons, that's cool too.

Here I'm just horsing around with 32nd notes at 152 BPM but I can play faster and all pretty effortlessly. 




With my techniques you can play free form chaos or highly structured patterns. It's up to you. Check out some of the other videos down below.

At the moment I have a rough draft / test version of a guide called "Speed Picking for the 21st Century Rock Guitarist" that some of my friends have been working through and providing feedback for improvements. 

You can get your copy right now by signing up at my forum:


The speed-picking board is hidden to all but members. Join up and we'll get started.

That's all there is to it.

With my approach you're not trapped into cliche patterns and licks (unless you want that) and you never run out of strings or fretboard to create extremely long, flowing lines at any tempo.

Here is just one random very slow example at 95 BPM



You're not locked into predetermined patterns at all; you can make the music you want to make.


Hell, you can even play redneck music this way:


Some harmonic minor flavors:


And if you're a nihilist who wants to conjure the vortex of doom, that's possible too. Basically, there are no limits any more.

This is an old demo track I did way back in the 90s that kind of got the ball rolling. Embrace the horror: